To all the 2014 Graduates (High School and College)- Guest Blogger: Reggie Jenkins
August 8, 2014
1. I want you to look at us grown folks and go a different route.
2. College/university is NOT for everyone so don't go if you are not really motivated internally (don't just go because your parents want you to).
3. LEAVE your place of birth or your hometown...you will not grow unless you GO!! The world is much bigger than your 'hood.
4. READ, READ, READ!! (Learn about your history/culture, financial literacy, and read the dictionary) - Education is what you give yourself, not what others give you.
5. DON'T take out loans for ANYTHING!! (Car notes, credit cards, household items, etc). One of the biggest legacies that most of us leave our children is how to get and STAY in debt.
6. Take time to learn and love who you are.
7. Don't rush into relationships and sexual encounters unless you are mature enough to deal with the consequences of your decisions.
8. Deal with any hang-ups that you have with your parents and your childhood experiences. Let Go and GROW!!
9. Conquer your FEARS head on. If you fear success, then overcome it by becoming successful. If you fear flying, book a flight and go to a neighboring city (baby steps).
10. Be driven by purpose and passion, not by money. Money driven people are some of the most miserable people. IF you follow your passion and purpose, the money will come and you will be happy!!
11. Again, learn to LOVE yourself (Find positive quotes that you recite everyday, associate with only positive people, and drop negative friends/family/associates).
12. Relearn how to eat to live and not for taste. Most of us have been trained to consume toxic foods and beverages that leads to disease and death (i.e. cookies, cakes, sodas, red meat, pork, liquor, weed, etc.) - Research for yourself.
13. TRAVEL and MEET different people. Nothing can take the place of experience.
14. Going to College doesn't mean going in DEBT. Pay for it, go for free, or Don't GO!!!
15. Don't be afraid to fail, success can't come unless mistakes are made first.
16. Manhood is not defined by your Penis and womanhood is not defined by the size of your breasts/butt nor how short your skirt is.
17. STARE in the mirror everyday and say 'You are Special, important, and I LOVE YOU!!' and Believe it!!
18. Before you select a boyfriend or girlfriend, examine what they are doing and where they are going before you decide to select them. Words mean nothing, Action is everything!!
19. Don't look at your parents like they are flawless because they have flaws. Learn from their successes and failures and become BETTER!!!
20. MOVE OUT OF YOUR PARENTS' HOME!! There are too many non-productive grown children living with their parents.
21. Don't make excuses. You are responsible for your successes as well as your failures!!!
22. Develop a spiritual routine or regimen. Go beyond the beliefs of your parents and grandparents!!
23. Pray for health, strength, and a sound mind, everything else will take care of itself.
24. Every experiences is a lesson so instead of wasting time and energy on what you did wrong or why it happened to you, stay calm and LEARN from it.
25. Give to someone outside of your family and friends. Nothing is more fulfilling and rewarding than giving to others. Selflessness is the key!! Selfish people don't go far in life.
26. Listen more and talk less.
27. Don't be Afraid to Ask...Closed mouth never gets fed...There is always someone with the correct answer to your question, but you must seek counsel.
28. Expand your vocabulary. Learn at least 5 words each week.
29. Learn how to effectively communicate what you think and how you feel. "Cussing and yelling are not effective means of getting your point of view across". Remember not to repeat the dysfunctional ways that adults communicate, become better.
30. Watch more of what a person does than what he/she says.
31. If you don't go to college/university, get a skill or trade. Don't get stuck in a minimum wage job. Even if you earning or have earned a college degree, it doesn’t hurt to develop a skill or trade.
32. Look up to someone who you can touch, feel, and talk to. Too many of you are taking life lessons from rappers, celebrities, athletes, and others whom you will never meet and will never know.
33. Seek counsel from elders, not old fools.
34. Learn a 2nd language. The English language is only spoken by a small number of the world's population and more people with different tongues are becoming power brokers in America.
35. Honor those who came before you.
36. Before you act, ask yourself, "will my next act/behavior bring shame to my family?'
Reggie Jenkins, Executive Director of UUNIK (‘unique’) Academy
August 6, 2014
Image Courtesy of Dominici FreeDigitalPhotos.net